30-minute Paneer Makhani Recipe!
Paneer Makhani (Butter Paneer)
A quick and easy vegetarian version of butter chicken! A few simple, pantry staple ingredients and you'll have a mouth-watering meal in under 30 minutes! This is a slighlty lighter take on typical paneer makhani dishes (using less butter and oil than most recipes call for) without losing all the flavor.
14 oz of Paneer, cut into 1" cubes
½ cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp Makhani Masala blend by The Spice Collective
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp salt
1 tsp oil
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
1 14.5oz can of crushed tomatoes or 4 large diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Makhani Masala blend
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
In a medium mixing bowl, combine marinade ingredients, mix well. Add paneer, stir into marinade to ensure all pieces are coated.
Optional: We recommend covering and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, overnight if you have the time.
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large frying pan (use a saucepan to make this a 1 pot meal!) or over medium-high heat or use a grill pan sprayed with oil. Add paneer pieces. Cook until browned and cooked through. Remove, set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter on medium-high heat, add onions, garlic and ginger, saute for 5-10 minutes until onion has browned.
- Add 1 tbsp Makhani Masala blend and stir constantly for about a minute until spices are fragrant.
Stir in tomatoes. If using fresh tomatoes, add 1/4 cup of water. Optional: for a saucier gravy, use an immersion blender to puree.
Bring gravy to a boil, add in paneer, lower heat to medium, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until gravy thickens.
- Add the heavy cream, stir to incorporate and simmer for 5 minutes. Add additional salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and top with cilantro. Serve with your favorite naan or basmati rice.