Tofu Tikka Masala - Vegan
The Classic Indian Dish….
Which surprisingly isn’t from India at all!
As the story goes - Tikka Masala was created by a Bengali chef at an Indian restaurant in Glasglow, Scotland in the 1970’s at the request of a customer who sent back his plate of chicken curry because it was too dry. The chef got creative with the ingredients he had on hand and added some additional spices and a can of tomato soup. The dish was a hit and is now a staple dish at Indian restaurants around the world.
Our Tikka Masala blend is the perfect mix of fresh spices to cook up a tikka masala dish that will rival your favorite Indian restaurant!
Check out this vegan version of our Tikka Masala recipe!
Tofu Tikka Masala
A quick and easy vegan tikka masala in under 30 minutes!
14oz of Tofu (extra firm, drained) cut into 1 inch pieces + 1 bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
½ cup dairy-free yogurt
- 1 tbsp Tikka Masala spice blend by The Spice Collective
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp lemon
- ½ tbsp salt
1 tbsp oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 15oz can of crushed tomatoes in tomato puree
- 1 tbsp garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 ½ tbsp Tikka Masala spice blend by The Spice Collective
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Steamed basmati rice
In a medium mixing bowl, combine marinade ingredients, mix well. Add tofu pieces, stir into marinade to ensure all pieces are coated.
Optional: Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, overnight is recommended.
Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large frying pan (or use a large pot to make this a one pot meal) over medium-high heat, can also use a grill pan sprayed with oil. Add tofu, cook until lightly browned. Remove from pan, set aside.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium heat, add onions, garlic and ginger, saute for 5 minutes until onion is tender but not browned.
- Add 1 ½ tbsp Tikka Masala spice blend and stir constantly for about a minute until spices are fragrant.
Stir in crushed tomatoes. Optional: for a saucier gravy, use an immersion blender at this point to puree.
- Bring gravy to a boil, lower heat to medium, cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until gravy thickens.
Add in cooked tofu, stir well. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and top with cilantro.
- Serve on a plate alongside your favorite naan or rice. You can also serve with a side of yogurt or raita.